Wednesday, September 2, 2009

MIRACLES: DO YOU BELIEVE?

I believe in miracles. As the Lord continues His ways, I met someone while I was trudging through some airport traffic and commotion. People going in every direction, my wheelchair going to the right, then to the left. Swoosh! Brain swoosh! Geez, I am not even on the plane yet and I feel like puking.

Enter Security. Got to talking to one lady there, and she was kind enough to leave me with her phone #. I  called her yesterday, or maybe it was the day before. I had a story to tell her. It was actually an amazing story, but I paused as I realized the words that I would tell her.....I knew that they would change her life forever. Maybe she was hesitant, like most people are, just by talking to someone in a wheelchair. As we returned from our trip, I felt God was telling me, and is now telling me, to make sure that she knows this story.

It was late morning, and I had already awakened, prayed, and was putzing around a hotel room, when I caught a flash of a glance of the face of the person that was coming to clean my room. Right away, I felt a sense of panic and as I sit here typing with my fingers, her image easily comes to mind. It was as if I saw her in a flash of an instant, and her face was laid barren for me to see inside to her soul. I felt panic. Sheer panic. As if someone had just paged me to intubate a patient and I walked in on a bloody airway. I knew I was in for digging her out of a hole, and I knew that without hesitation, I would act and just let my body 'go along' the way that the Holy Spirit grabbed my soul like a magnet, and pulled me to her.

I was overflowing with words to say, some that perhaps did not make sense, some that did....I was not sure which were the 'touchy' spots of my words, and which were just 'regular' or 'predictable' questions or comments that I could mathematically say to a random person, and what the chances were that some x amount of what I was going to say was going to pierce her to the very heart and get her knees on the ground. God was welling up inside me, and I  began to speak. I opened my mouth, and then immediately shut it. I remember this thought going through my mind: I need to  give her a book. (No More Tears: A Physician-Turned Patient Inspires Recovery, written by me and I believe, with the leading and inspiration of the Holy Spirit inside of me). I need to give her a book. She needs a book. Where are my books? I need one now...

The rest of our meeting was unlike anything I have ever experienced before. God's power struck to the depths of my soul. The very depths where dark ideas and dark thoughts live until like maggots, they squirm to the surface and rear their ugly heads. I felt the devil in her soul. I felt the struggle she was having with her life. I sensed a real moment of 'truth or dare', and that God was pulling and pulling her toward Him, but that she was sidetracked. Very badly. One thing led to another, I felt, and now her life was up against the door, forced to attack because it was already backed up against a wall and unable to retreat.

Quickly, I reached over for one of my books. There was a small pile of them, as I brought a few extra copies on the trip with me. I ran, trying not to bump against the wall or fall down, and I found her in the bathroom. She was so clueless as to what was going to happen next.
 I'll tell you about it tomorrow. I have to regroup my thoughts.




No comments: