Thursday, August 7, 2008

What am I posting, she asks. 
In second grade, one of my first memories was that of the dying Jesus on the Cross. It was a very large statue that displayed much detail. I could see and feel the crown of thorns on the head of Our Lord, and I could feel His Sufferings for me. I accepted Jesus Christ and while my life has fallen short of some successes, He has always been with me to provide comfort.
First of all, I am 48 years old. Raised 6 kids starting at 13 years old. Patting my brother's back meant that I, as the second eldest, grew up caring for people. Babies. Precious little ones.  I ran away at 16 years old, because by then I thought I knew everything. I knew how to bake an entire Thanksgiving Dinner, make 35 double-decker lunch sandwiches for 7 kids to eat one sandwich per day, and do laundry for 9 people.
I was an excellent student in high school, when I developed as a person and made many stupid mistakes. Just like all of us. Went to an Alternative School so I could have an ID to show the LAPD. The ID gave me permission, so that I could either go to school, or not go to school. Thankfully, my father was praying for us daily. Our Angels protected us as my best friend got shot in the head and was found dead in the bushes. Everyone in the high school went to her funeral, and I still think of her and all the life that she has subsequently missed.
I graduated high school at 16 years old by taking the California Proficiency Exam, then graduated first Cosmetology and then Real Estate school. Ran away at 16 but my ex-husband made me go back to school, and for this I am still grateful.
I was a battered wife for 9 years, and bore a much-loved son. Once in medical school, my ex-husband left with our child, and there was no "Amber Alert" then. I was blessed and deeply touched, yes even endebted to other Christians who taught me so much about life. They know who they are. Medical School was an enlightening time in many respects, and ever so gradually, I looked forward to seeing a life of some kind ahead of me. There were very close friends who understood me and helped me develop my character. I knew God was with me. I broke medical school in half so I could be nearer my family, to help me raise my son. Left an apartment full of furniture, and the medical school wives so kindly boxed everything up and mailed it to me. Thank you to all the Tulsa, OK groups of people I know. At the time, I could not have been in a better place. Alas, I left and drove back to CA in one day's notice. Once in CA, I tried calling two local medical schools.
One medical school said, "No." We don't have any positions opened for a medical student to transfer. The other medical school Dean said, "You did what? I have to meet you." Thank God, I could continue medical school and obtain my MD. During this time, I met a nurse practitioner while delivering babies, and she counseled me very much. I was a single parent with a young child, and she wanted me to pick a Residency program that would 'give me a good life' ... so God arranged a meeting or two, and I was accepted into a prestigious program, that of Anesthesiology residency..
I was handed ICU after ICU patient as a beginner, and learned from the beginning of my training how to provide anesthesia for the critically ill receiving tracheostomy or other surgical procedures. I became so adept at caring for the critically ill, so eventually, I became very good at it. Touche. God kept His watch over me as Critical Care became my specialty, with both Stanford University Medical School and the University of Pennsylvania ICU experiences that could fill a book alone.
Do not ever think that God has forgotten or forsaken you. He will never leave us, even to the end of the earth. Are you surprised that you got into a car accident today? God knew this car accident would occur when you opened your eyes in the morning. If you have given your life to Christ, and dedicate your efforts unto the Christian faith, you will have all the hope that you need: hope for forgiveness, hope for sufferings, hope for healing and for faith in God to keep your life on track.

No comments: